Saturday, July 25, 2015

What Do You Think Of When You Hear "Taps?"

I remember hearing "Taps" every night at camp when I was a young girl. Those 24 notes of an instrumental song that signals time to reflect on the day and rest up for the next one. It was part of the excitement of being away from home for the first time and having different routines and regiments that you had to follow and respect. My camp experiences were such an influence on me that I wanted to make sure my own two kids had the chance to experience it too. We were reminiscing about this the other night. I reminded my son that he came home after a week and said, "Mom, why are my teeth fuzzy?" It seems that he had skipped the brushing of his teeth and opted for the quicker mouthwash routine! I don't think that their experiences were as awesome as mine. I think my daughter felt like she was in the military or something and my son was out on an island and felt a little too cut off for a little too long? Well, I am glad and grateful that because of my convincing my ex-husband at the time that the experience of "away camp" would only make them stronger and independent. I think it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment