Friday, May 29, 2015

Track and Field Day Takes Me Back.

One of the schools we visit had their track and field day yesterday. It was fun to show up and see and hear the shouts and laughter surrounding the goings on in the playing field of the school. Almost immediately, I started remembering when I was in elementary school and used to have severe nervousness towards the end of the school year due to track and field days just like this one. The running relays used to really make me tense up. I was not a good runner or even an average runner. I remember so much about those times because I had so many emotions about it. Even though I didn't really know why I was so bad at sports and uncoordinated, I still participated. I would never have given up or stormed off. My friends seemed to be sympathetic somehow even though they had no idea why I was not very good. My symptoms were never really severe enough to be tested either. In fact, it wasn't until my last year in college when I would be thoroughly tested and given my diagnosis of Muscular Dystrophy. In hindsight, I handled a lot and really glad that my life has evolved right through this disease. I have just always had to do things in a different way. Sometimes things come up that trigger memories and I feel the need to be proud of myself for getting through some really tough emotional times. I feel like, "wow, I managed to get through that!" Oh and I did have small physical achievements... I managed to win a blue ribbon in 6th grade for the Shoe Kick! A small victory to some, but this was actually HUGE for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment