Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"Do You Need Help?"

I know. I should probably be happy about the fact that there are people who will just assume that because you are in a wheelchair that you need extra, urgent help of some kind and want to make sure that you don't. Today in Minnesota, most parts of the state had reached very mild temps. I had done a couple of regular errands and couldn't wait to get outside to soak up some sun. This is my freedom time. For a brief moment, I basked in the glorious, joyous, exuberant sunshine. Lost for a moment while I was concentrating on my ear phones and IPOD charge and just minding my own business when a serious looking woman from behind me yelled out, "Do you need help?." I was taken by surprise a bit because I really hadn't seen the woman from the front. I turned around and called out," oh no, but thank you!!!" With the ever faithful 20/20 hindsight, I should have said, "no, why?" Oh, maybe someday. I didn't let it bug me too much. I lost two people from my past within 12 or so hours of each other today. One was an old, family friend who was the type of man to always exhibit the best possible sense of humor, charm and friendliness. A close friend of my parents who will be greatly missed. The other, was a friend of a friend who became an Auntie to me who was not a blood relative, but as close as she could have been. I was blessed to have gotten to know her in her later years. Her sense of humor about the many hardships that she faced throughout her life were truly inspirational to me. Rest Aunt Betty.

No comments:

Post a Comment