Thursday, April 27, 2017

Herb was my friend.

It wasn't the best way to find out that a friend had died. I was downstairs signing my lease renewal and happened to ask our current property manager about Herb. She whispered in a strange way, "he passed a couple of weeks ago." I was kind of disappointed that his family didn't let me know. :( I first met Herb about 9 years ago when I moved into my current apartment home. Herb was just about 83 then I think. He was always kidding around with me and I with him. We would run into each other often and when you did, you expected either a history lesson (he was a pilot in WW2) or a civics speech about how much President O'Bama ruined our country or where to go for good pie. And he brought me one once too. Who does things like that anymore? He was an awesome Grandfatherly figure in this building. And believe me, this building needs all of the grandfathering it can get...now more than ever. Things seem loud and unorganized around here lately. We seem to have a new manager every 3 months. He was always concerned about how I was doing and I seemed to impress him that I usually had things under control and could make him chuckle. I will miss knowing that he's not around here anymore. God Bless you Herb. You were one of a kind and an awesome representative of your generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment