Saturday, April 2, 2016

When it's windy.

Back in my early twenties, while in college and the years after, of course there would be windy days. I bring this up because it is so windy where I am right now. I haven't seen it this windy in my corner of the world for a long time. The wind was terrifying to me when I lived on my own. I had to be concerned about it blowing me right over! I was so stubborn while trying to be independent that I would have to literally fight the wind. I spent so much time watching weather forecasts to see when and if the winds would die down before I had to hike from the parking lot into work or while I was doing something as mundane as pumping gas or getting groceries. I didn't have a car for part of my early college years and I had a terrifying crack of dawn morning while up in Duluth on my way to school one day. It was dark, bitter cold and 30 below and windy. It blew me down on a sidewalk and thank God a man saw me get knocked down and came to help me up. i wasn't hurt but then had to get my head straight again and focus on getting through my day. I think it was my self talk that got me through every day. And my self talk still gets me through. Some of the battles that I had with weather and situations in my every day life helped to prepare me for hanging in there and remaining as tough as I can be to this day. Mind over matter. The wind reminds me to be happy right where I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment