Saturday, May 2, 2015

Skittles. More Than Candy.

I have been mentoring and just being friends with a little third grade girl this school year. She has had many ups and downs. The latest hurdle for her has been that she melts down during the yearly, state testing at school. I was asked if I could give her some encouragement with regards to getting through the tests. I told her to try and stay focused and that when I was a little girl like her, I would tell myself that summer was soon coming and I had to get through the testing to move on to next year! I had her repeat back what she was going to tell herself and she had it! Then, she asked if she could go out for regular recess. That there was a group she had plans to play with. This was music to my ears because she is known to be a loner and not have many friends. I gave her a small bag of Skittles and off she went. I also went outside to the playground and could see her off in the distance running and playing and shaking the Skittles into her friends' hands. It almost looked like a TV commercial that was advertising more than just candy.

2 comments:

  1. It was more than just candy! It was what she needed you for, your confidence in her and someone like you to care about her. You are great at that kind of care. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom. You're my example....always!

    ReplyDelete