Friday, August 29, 2014

Navigating College Financial Aid Is Not For The Faint At Heart

I remember waaaay back in the pre-technology age (early 80's) when you were awarded financial aid, you received an award letter in the mail. Done deal. It explained a couple of different options. You were told to visit the campus financial aid office and claim a form or two. Unfortunately, those simple, uncomplicated days are long gone. Now you need computer forms and print outs. LOTS of them. You wait months for an award letter only to find out that the LETTER is in a student file online! My son was finally granted some aid and then came the voucher process to score some books. He made a few attempts to do this and when he kept coming home completely frustrated, I told him that "I am going to meet you tomorrow morning and we are not leaving school until you have books in your hands!" We approached the financial aid lady and she gave us some instructions for the computer system. Then we went to the Admissions office and got help there too. The Admissions lady helped us navigate the computer system and when she asked a question I started to answer. She looked at me and said, "now Mom, you don't have to answer. Mackenzie is capable of answering this." Inside I wanted to boil over onto her, but took a breath and just said, "well at this point, I have to be a little involved." I mean the financial part of college, is of a little bit of interest to the parents, don't you think? Well, with a little help, we got thru the process. Star Id, passwords and being tested of your knowledge of loans and then a slow computer system to boot. He got the voucher printed off and we strolled to the bookstore. I was almost giddy with relief and happiness! It was cute when my son approached the book store lady with the 3 books he had tried 2 other times to get, and he said "finally, I have the voucher to get my books. That didn't take too long!" Score. And I wish our government could make this process a little bit easier. It was a true test of patience that's for sure. (The government comment is for my Mom!) you are so right Mom. So now one last hurdle is making sure he gets into an a.m. class he wants. They are waiting for the 3 no show students to withdraw so he can have the spot! Ugh. Hopefully, another victory will happen soon. What a crazy way to start college.

2 comments:

  1. I think all of these types of frustrations are there to teach students about the "real" world. It doesn't get any easier does it? Good job! Well done! Love! Mom/Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! And Good luck Mac!!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete